Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Xmas in England

When we left Calgary on the 18th of December it was -28 degs C. When we arrived in England it was about 10 degs and they were complaining of the cold! We had a couple of really beautiful sunny days while we were there but mostly it was the usual dull cloudy damp English weather that I remember so well. Couldnt do a thing with my hair! It was just wonderful to see my sisters, my great friends (Sue & Steve below are just 2 of them) and the rest of my family. Couldnt get to see everyone I wanted to - that's the problem with surprising people - they aren't always home when you call round.
We surprised Nick's mum & dad Xmas day & they were so happy to see us. Nick's mum kept touching him to see if he was real. Nick's dad complained for the rest of the stay that we shouldnt do that to old people because we could have killed them, lol, but I know he couldn't have hoped for a better Xmas present.
We ate & drank so much we should have been charged excess baggage on the flight home - I had forgotten how good (& unhealthy) English food is.
My elder sister has adopted 2 new dogs since I left (Sam & Tilly) & my younger sister had a Cocker spaniel puppy (Merlin) so I had my daily doggy fix.
What I miss - friends & family, pubs in walking distance, good food & English town centres where everything is in walking distance & strangers talk to you like they have known you forever. And English football (soccer) - I got to see my beloved Manchester Utd while I was there. Being able to go for long country walks in winter.
What I havent missed - English weather (& the constant complaining about it), the traffic, the prices (cars, fuel, property are twice the price in England).
These are a couple of pictures of home. There are more on my photoshow website www.photoshow.net/jyeomans.







No comments: