Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Arriving home

This is what we arrived home to - the snow was so far up the back door we couldnt open it - luckily our lovely neighbours had cleared our steep driveway before we got home or we would have had to stay in town.
First job was to gather up the dogs - my neighbours had looked after the collies & my parrots. The Shilohs had stayed in town with a friend (Jodi) who breeds & trains German shepherds. First we picked up the Shilohs and what a welcome we got - both jumping all over us & Timba doing his best Chewbacca impression for a solid 10 minutes. Couldnt believe how much Alaska had grown in just 3 weeks and the stay has obviously done her confidence the world of good. I knew Timba would be fine but I was so worried about leaving Alaska it was wonderful to see how well she had done.
Timba had his usual upset tum from eating snow & rubbed all the fur off his nose trying to get outside to relieve himself so he looks very funky at the moment. It's healing well though.
I received an email from Jodi saying what a joy it had been to have them - constantly making them laugh & so well behaved (of course!). Think I may have made a convert to the Shiloh camp.

Next we went next door to retrieve the collies.
Moose was all over us, soooo pleased to see us but Jazz, as always, refused to speak to me & we had to make her get in the car to go home. She has always done this - likes to make me feel bad about leaving her.
Timba & Moose have never been apart before & I was surprised they were not pleased to see each other. There was a lot of posturing and dominance behaviour from both of them & it was a couple of days before they settled back to normal.
The snow is so deep right now the dogs would be able to step over the 5 foot fence around the dog run so I guess they wont be left in there for a while. It's good to be home!

No comments: